Saturday, April 5, 2008

Grad Column


Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on, across the universe

While thinking of how to start writing, I remembered John Cusack, in one of his romantic comedies, repeatedly stating how grateful he was for simple things like the sun and the trees. I realized that we pray everyday for something magical to grace our mundane lives but we almost never notice the little miracles that God sends us everyday. They come in all shapes and sizes, from the songs we sing to people we run into. Miracles come in the form of professors-- the people who gave a whole new meaning to the concept of "tough love." I cannot think of better mentors than Dean Jara, Dean Sundiang, Atty. Amurao, Vice Dean Perez, Commissioner Sarmiento, Fr. Anscar, former Vice Dean Navarro, Judge Erum, Judge Alaras, Atty. Lumbera, Atty. Escolin, Justice Fernandez, Dom Thomas and all the faculty members and administrators of San Beda College of Law who taught me not only the differences between murder and homicide, unlawful detainer and forcible entry, or a negotiable instrument and a non-negotiable one but also to "make a pearl" out of the challenges that come our way. These are extraordinary people whose brilliance we fail to recognize after bokya recitations that seem to be a natural occurrence in law school. A day will not go by that I will not thank them for all they have taught me. I am grateful for their words of wisdom.

Blessings also come in the form of friends who skated with me along the thin line that separates insanity from the lucid intervals: BarOps, The Barrister, 1I to 4S, B, C & D, and countless others I've met along the way. I thank God everyday for our Monday morning songs, Skittles and Zest-O moments, flat tires at SM Manila, hotel shower scenes, karaoke nights, fever-inducing lunches, fishball
escapades, panic attacks, smorgasbords, Saturday polvoron inhalations, jungle river rides, and secret stashes in desk drawers. I am indebted to friends who have been with me way before law school sharing girls' nights out, five different flavors of Century Tuna (one for each weekday) and morbid Thursdays. I appreciate all the patience they have shown. They are the sisters I never had and the additional brothers I never wished for. I am grateful for the laughter and tears.

The greatest miracle of all is my family. They have supported me from the day I crawled until the day that they felt I was ready to take the biggest steps of my life. They endured the temper tantrums and the occasional absences at family gatherings. These are the people who had faith in me even when I lost faith in myself. There are no greater heroes on earth and I hope to make you proud. I am grateful to have been born in this family.

I am grateful to be at this point in my academic life. I am grateful for this half-page column I am allowed to write. I am grateful for the cookie I am munching on. I am grateful to the Beatles song I am presently listening to. I am grateful for Stephen King novels. I am grateful for the 75W's. I am grateful for simple, significant things.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise.
It's time to make the world see something to rival the amazing creatures of Greek Mythology... roaring Lions soaring through the sky with the wings of a blackbird.


No comments:

Post a Comment