Tuesday, April 15, 2008

the limits of infallibility

as i stated previously, i have tested the limits of infallibility of the barrister i.d. card. according to the barops people (thank God for them), we (the bedan barristers) do not have to abide by the dress code so all of last week we were in and out of san beda wearing slippers, sleeveless shirts and i almost wore a skirt that defied the most basic rules of the dress code.

8:45 a.m., april 15th, the guard would not let me in. he handed my card over to the "gestapo" (according to one member of bedista.com) at the information desk and would not inform me why they would not let me in, letting me think that they did not honor the card. after five minutes, i was informed that it was because of my sleeveless blouse. i said that there were no classes and that for the past week, people have been in and out of campus wearing all sorts of violations of the dress code. but they said they would check my name against the list of bar ops committee members. i said, "no, i am not part of the barops. i am one of the people the barops is helping." but no... they would not let me in. i complained. i cursed. i said (quite loudly) that they have to enforce the rules in a uniform manner.

later that day a memo was issued. bar reviewees must abide by a dress code now. pambie said it might be the effect of my temper tantrum early that morning. i don't mind. they can issue all the memos they want. all i ask for is uniformity in implementation.

i think it's time to start wearing a pink arm band.

how do you solve a problem like matilda?

No comments:

Post a Comment